dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > Queensland Ride Reports & Local Issues

Old 03-05-2009
Travelling Idiot

Thumbs up My first ADV ride

Hope this is not a prob to post here, but figured there may be some interest maybe.

The day started with me geared up and and on the road 6.30am for the cruise out to Esk, at the last minute (and with blue a sky) I decided to wear my rain jacket. This turned out well for me as the amount of fog on the way meant I my jacket was wet by the time I got there. Mingled for a while and did introductions before Rossco led us out toward Blackbut taking in as many dirt roads as we could.

All up there were 13 of us, mainly DR's and KTM950's plus a Husky, TDM (on road tyres), Transalp and a KLR. The riding was at a good pace and in fact a little faster than I expected, but the group never really spread out too far. We lost the Transalp early with a busted shock.

regrouping

scenery

We continued on along the dirt roads, and I was loving the scenery, constantly looking around taking it in. I began to realise how much I'd missed the Aussie countryside while OS.

Unfortunately the scenery was to turn gut churning within half an hour.

We ended up riding along a public road that led through private land, we passed several cattle grids and I needed to slow down twice due to cattle on the road. As I crested a small hill I could see a mass of dust in the distance and thought to myself 'damn to two (in front of me) are hooting', I rode the curving dirt road down toward the dust mass and as the road straightened saw what nobody wants to see, a bike on its side and a rider lying motionless in the middle of the road.

When I got to him he had just regained conciseness and was mumbling incoherently, he was also trying to stand up, I noted that all his limbs were moving in his attempt to get up and figured he had no spinal injury, I placed him in the recovery position and held him there, he was still attempting to get up. His eyes were barely open and his speech was slurred horribly. It was probably about 2 minutes before more riders turned up (its hard to tell how much time passes when your frantically trying to recall your first aid training).
By this time he was telling me his name when I asked, but could not tell me what day it was or what we had been doing. 3 riders turned up and after resting for a while and 'coming back to us' we were able to get him to his feet. We were trying to work out what had happened and figured he had hit the cattle grid at speed and lost it, when a cow mooed, a quick look around located a weaner lying in the grass unable to stand up and in obvious pain. Needless to say there were no other options, and the cows neck was slit, it was dead in no time.
The rider was up and walking around, but had no recollection of anything, and asked the same question over and over again just 20 seconds apart. Inspection of his bike found it to be unridable.

Old 03-05-2009
Travelling Idiot

Luckily the farmer (although mightilly pissed off he'd lost a $600 weaner) loaded the bike up to keep at his homestead, and an ambulance was on its way.

From there we were told the road we were going would get fairly rough, and the TDM (with road tyres) decided he'd head back the way we came. I decided to follow as no one should ride alone (and to be honest, it just wasnt working for me on the dirt today ). On the way home we went via Mt Nebo/Glorious which was great, I hadnt ridden over there in about 7 years.

All in all a good day and about 320kms (I think).

Old 03-05-2009
dbw Pro Legend

just a tip for future reference when you cross a cattle grid it means cattle are loose and you should slow down. will the rider be liable for the dead cow?

next project TT500
Old 03-05-2009
dbw Pro

Nice report CMG, hope the rider is ok and back on the bike again soon,never good to see and rider down,and well done on your first aid given to him.Jason
Old 03-05-2009
Travelling Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by too heavy View Post
just a tip for future reference when you cross a cattle grid it means cattle are loose and you should slow down.
well Duh

We could only believe that the cow was lying in the ditch on the other side of the ute in the pic (it was also alone), which means it was hidden (the grass is also quite long), the lead rider probably spooked it, and then hearing the second one coming it got up and bolted directly in front of the oncoming bike, either way no-one knows what happened, and Im guessing we never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too heavy View Post
will the rider be liable for the dead cow?
I spose if it came down to it, his insurer pays, but I dont really know
Old 03-05-2009
dbw Pro Addict

good write up mate, albeit not a fantastic trip really, hope the Kato Rider is ok.
Old 03-05-2009
dbw Pro Addict

i`ll be fugged, thought he looked familiar, i stopped & spoke to him a couple of years ago at the daintree while we were on the way back, he was heading to the top >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>small world hu`h

he`d only just got the bike
Old 03-05-2009
dbw Pro Champion

Good day all the same Chris sounds like old mate will surive, freaky being in situations like that i know.

the DR 650 was mildly awesome from what ive read your gunna have to step it up a bit, i got a GSXR 600 can here , the same as the gsxr k2 pipe qwerty has for massive power.

id like you to have it
Old 03-05-2009
dbw Pro Champion

Awsome report CMG
No the feeling when you come across a rider like that ( Not Good )
Glad to hear he,ll be alright

PS I,m guessing you found your number plate from last weekend
Old 04-05-2009
Travelling Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
the DR 650 was mildly awesome from what ive read your gunna have to step it up a bit, i got a GSXR 600 can here , the same as the gsxr k2 pipe qwerty has for massive power.
PM me your address, and I'll be awesomely on my way (have you got mirror extensions?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatick View Post
PS I,m guessing you found your number plate from last weekend
nup, got a new one and new indicators