dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Husqvarna Forum

Husqvarna Forum Huskys R Us

Old 30-09-2009
dbw Pro

TE310 - Is it the one...?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from those of you that own or have spent some time on the TE310. I know there are a couple threads on here from guys that have bought them, so I hope you can help out (and according to Husky's website, "TE 310 went to become Husqvarna's best selling bike", so there must be some around!?)

I've just moved to WA and am looking at a new bike. I haven't been out riding here yet (partly because I don't have a bike), but the guys I work with ride a lot in the hills near Perth on the powerline tracks and some single track/4WD tracks in the forests.

I know I don't want a 250 4T, as there isn't really enough power to keep me entertained and I'm too lazy to always be in the right gear . Therefore, the 310 maybe an option, but I'm concerned if there's actually enough 'extra' over the 250. However, I also know a 450 will probably be a bit much for the type of riding I'm expecting to do (but am considering the KTM 400).

Can anyone comment on the step up from the old 250 motor to the 310 (297cc)? Is it significant, or just a little bit better? Any idea how much HP they're putting out in comparison?

The other concern I have is the Husky reliability. I know this has improved in the last couple years, but has anyone had much trouble with the old 250/310 motor? A Perth Husky dealer told me the 2 year warranty was only valid as long as the major service items were done on time. Think big end at 70 hours was one of them! (probably $1500?)

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments at all on the 310, especially relating to the power vs 250 and 450, and also the old engine reliability.

Cheers,

Drof
Old 30-09-2009
dbw Pro Champion

Get a KTM 400. I could probaly expand on that a bit but reading your post you seem to have answered your own questions in regards to the warranty and reliability of the husky.
The 400 will do everything, reliable, wont tear your arms out like a 450 but will smoke a 250 and with good resale someone will actualy want to buy it off you when you want to sell it, unlike the husky.

60% of the time it works everytime

#377 13 FE450 Factory fur burger
Old 30-09-2009
Ready and lubricated.

another option is ktm 300, mine feels like it has as much if not more torque than my mates wr250f and smooth delivery down low and way less maintinence $, I am biased now after buying one but it is as smooth as silk to ride compared to my 250 2t and seems to hold 450's in a straight line easily.
Old 30-09-2009
Ready and lubricated.

Me again, should call them a 3 stroke as they feel sort of half way between.
Old 30-09-2009
dbw Pro

Thanks bluerider,

Yeah, the KTM 400 was my original choice, but when I heard that a fair bit of the riding over here is reasonably technical and single track, I thought something a little lighter between the knees would be good - hence the TE310. If the difference in power between the 310 and 400 was minimal (is it?), the more manouverable 310 would probably be my choice.

Also, my experience with Husky's is basically zero, so I was wondering if the reported reliability issues are just 'hear-say' carry overs from the past (when I think there really were few).

Drof
Sponsored Links
Old 30-09-2009
Ready and lubricated.

[ I thought something a little lighter between the knees would be good .

I want something much heavier you lucky bugger!
Old 30-09-2009
dbw Factory Pro

Berger 390
96 WR200
85 DT200
81 RM80
Old 30-09-2009
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

I'd be looking at the FE390 and Kato400 as the smaller bike options if you are in SA.

The 310 is still 250F class power... they just wanted to breath some life into the old girl (originally based on the 400 motor hence the 450 class weight).
Old 30-09-2009
dbw Pro

If I had the coin for the 390, I'd take one, but have heard they're not coming cheap.

Based on some of the comments, the TE310 might be a bit underpowered. Anyone actually know what they do at the rear wheel (HP).

KTM 400 looks like it might get the nod then. I'm still going to ride both before making a descision, only thing is it will probably just be on the road near the dealership, not on any dirt.

Anyone know what the 400 EXC's are worth on the road. Made one call about the TE310 and got $11,300 ride away (is that OK?)

Drof
Old 30-09-2009
dbw Pro Champion

That is a good price for the 310. Its a good price for a reason though, they are just about giving them away and im guessing it will be an 09 model (which is now a year old as the 2010's are comming out).

The 400 is by no means heavy, i rode one last week and it feels slightly lighter than my WR 250 which has all the battery, elec start + other gear removed to lighten it up.

The weird feeling being reported in the front end of the new bergs is still stearing me clear of them... sorry bout the pun

60% of the time it works everytime

#377 13 FE450 Factory fur burger
Sponsored Links