dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 07-12-2009
DBW Expert

yabbies

Does anyone know somewhere around Melbourne where i can catch some yabbies. Preferably out the east side because that is where im at. I want to catch some, or at least attempt to, but dont have a clue on where to go around here. I want to have a go at eating some, the last time i tried them was when i was a kid and dont remember if i liked them or not.
Also whats a good way to cook em up?
thanks.
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Pro Legend

should of chucked the net in the channel next to mum and dads..heaps it there
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Factory Pro

Try www.fishnet.com.au or www.ausfish.com for some spots maybe?

Benny

http://www.getonitperformancesports.com/
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Pro Hero

can't help ya where to gettem.. but they are tasty little critters.

Get a big bowl of boiling water, throw a handful of sea salt. Let the little bastards bubble for about 4-5 mins per kg until they turn redish/orange.

Let sit for a minute or two then hoe into em.

You can store the tails/claws meat in a sealed jar of vineger for a few weeks or months in the fridge and they taste great.

shitload of other recipes if ya wanna impress ya mates at a BBQ or whatever

How you store:

Keep the yabbies alive in any type of container. A specific yabby box if you have one otherwise an esky or foam box will do. A little bit of water and some damp eucalyptus leaves to keep the yabbies cool.
How you prep it

The humane way to prepare the yabbies for cooking is to place them in a bag in the freezer and allow them to go to sleep. This doesnt take long, you are not freezing the yabbies, just slowing them down. The other ingrediants needed are taco shells (the hard variety), lettuce (shredded), tomatoe (diced), avocado (sliced), Cheese (whichever cheese you most fancy. The packaged tasty cheese which is already shredded is ideal and seafood sauce (thousand island dressing).
How you cook it

Bring a large saucpan of water to the boil and add the yabbies. Cook the yabbies until they turn red. Remove the yabbies as they cook and allow to cool down. Remove and 'shell' the tails from the yabbies remebering to remove the digestive tract. This is done in a similar way to shelling cooked prawns. Rinse all the shelled tails in water and place in the fridge. (It is a good idea to place all the remains from the yabbies back in the bag and put in the freezer until it is time for your bins to be emptied. If the yabby remains are allowed to sit in the bin for a few days they will become very smelly!) Cook the taco shells in either the oven or the microwave, sticking to the packaged directions.
How you serve it

Depending on the size of the yabby tails, place 4 to 5 tails in the bottom of the tacos. Add a layer of the shredded lettuce, diced tomatoe and sliced avacado on top of the tails. Top with the shredded cheese and a generous dollop of thousand island sauce. It can be served as an entree but chances are you will eat one, want another four and wont need to eat anything else after that!
How it makes your fish As Good As GOLD

It sounds wacky but it is a delicious combination of flavours. If yabbies are hard to come by, prawns work just as well with it. There is nothing better than some yabby tail tacos on a lovely summer evening with good mates and cold beer.

also

Yabbies go with

Butter; cream; extra virgin olive oil; fish sauce; garlic; chilli; paprika; cayenne pepper; curry; pepper; onions; tomato; parsley; thyme; tarragon; dill; watercress; mayonnaise; aioli; avocado; vinaigrette; rice; pasta; crusty bread.

Also

Yabby stew

This recipe comes from former Miss Australia Rosemary Sinclair's book Cooking and Looking at Bendemeer.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy saucepan and simmer until it's golden brown. Add 500g of cooked, shelled yabby tails and cook gently for a minute or two.

In another saucepan, bring 2 cups of full cream milk to the boil, then add to the pan of yabbies in butter. Add a tablespoon of dry sherry, a teaspoon of paprika and bring the lot to a simmer.

Stir in half a cup of double cream. Turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper and serve at once with hot French bread.

Fruggen YUM...............
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Pro

Used to catch tonnes of them in the FTG arberreterum(sp?)
People dump bricks with holes in the water, so all you gotta do is go for a swim, pick up the bricks and usually theres yabbies hiding in the holes! easy!

Husqvarna WR360 project bike
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Pro Legend

mmm, yabbies, we used to spend days in summer catching them from our dams.. 60+ a day wasnt uncommon, enough big blue-nippers to fill the laundry tub, even more when mum and dad invited friends and kids around for bbq's..

actually looking to clean out a mates dams when they get a bit lower and stock them up when (if) it rains next
'92 Yamaha WR 200 Gone
70cc China bike, for the kids young and old
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Factory Pro

we used to catch heaps as kids and boil them up then mix tomato sauce with mayo in a bowl to make our thousand island dressing... the good ol' days!!!!
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Thumbs up

when stocking a dam with them , make sure you catch them regularly as they eat there own youngens , so catch them and eat them , that way the little fellows can grow .

there quite nice , better than prawns
Old 07-12-2009
dbw Factory Pro

I had a few as pets yrs back, they didn't like sharing a tank.........

Old 07-12-2009
dbw Factory Pro

Do ya need to do anything special to a dam before you stick the yabbies in there? Might chuck some in my dam if thats all you gotta do