dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 09-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

LIVE fire range???

I was out at Clarence today having a look round and came across a gate with signs all over the place
ie military land keep out
lazer systems in use etc

The kind of signage you see at Holsworthy,I didnt know we had defence facilities out that way.

Maybe some of the local 'farmers' dont like tourists comin thru eh?

Can anyone tell me where the right at the t comes out?
Old 09-05-2010
dbw Factory Pro

Location: Lithgow. eternally sunny centre of the known universe.
the army has a secret base at the back of marrangaroo. it is where the S.A.S. do their temperate jungle covert ops training. i would pay attention to the signs if i were you.
96 TM250E
74 TY250A
2001 CT110

Safety Turd. Because the only skid marks should be in the dirt.
"if I could get back all the money I spent on dirt bikes, I'd spend it all on dirt bikes."
Old 09-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

just back from a quick 5 day trip to cairns after becoming a grandfather on Monday.

yep marrangaroo army base, been there since WWII (1941)

Marrangaroo Army Camp situated at the end of Reserve road used to be a major Ammunition Depot from 1941 to the late 80's. It is now used for demolitions and various training by all three services. During the second world war it housed one of Australia's best kept secrets; Chemical Warfare. Marrangaroo was the administration headquarters for all of NSW RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) Chemical Weapon Stores which were kept in Tunnels and sidings at Marrangaroo (old tunnel and siding near correctional centre), Glenbrook tunnel in the Blue Mountains, Clarence Tunnel (now part of the zig zag railway) and Picton tunnel in Sydney's south. A new book called "Chemical Warfare in Australia" by Geoff Plunkett describes the people and places.

Accidently rode into the back end of it through a then unfenced section in 2004 and only realized where we were when we saw some shells scattered all over the place in the scrub, high tailed it carefully back out as quick as we could.
CLUB MUD #609
Old 10-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Patto65 Interesting what goes on up there ive been told theres a another airstrip up there,but be overgrown now.

Just curious do you know what the concrete tunnels are near the air stip before you go down the hill into town?

cheers
Old 10-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobanger View Post
Patto65 Interesting what goes on up there ive been told theres a another airstrip up there,but be overgrown now.

Just curious do you know what the concrete tunnels are near the air stip before you go down the hill into town?

cheers
clwydd anti aircraft gun emplacements to protect the clarence tunnel + the small arms factory. http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/bunkers/lithgowaa.htm
also a few in town out to the south of the new hospital on the s/w side of town. they were put in primarily to protect the small arms factory + most of the mines were still operating in the valley itself in the 1940's.
From memory they emplacements had 3.7inch guns, not sure if they were manufactured at the SAF or at maribynong.
Also there were a few air raid shelters in the valley, still remember one from my childhood under the hill on the s/e side overlooking the SAF

A bit of Lithgow saf history.
http://militaryguns.net.au/content/view/45/105/
CLUB MUD #609
Old 10-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

A further effect of the Small Arms Factory was to add Lithgow to the `Sydney Fortress Area` created in 1941, after Japan entered the Second World War. To protect Australia`s munitions industry from attack by air or by land, anti-aircraft guns and a detachment of machine-gunners were placed at Lithgow. In 1941 the Lewis machine guns were placed on the flat concrete roof of the main SAF building (still surviving but with the addition of a pitched roof) while the anti-aircraft guns were sited at Bowenfels in the grounds of the old Presbyterian manse in Kirkley Street. In 1942 concrete batteries were built, one to protect the guns at Bowenfels, the other on the top of Scenic Hill to protect the ammunition depot in the old Clarence tunnel. The Clarence emplacement (which still exists) was disguised as `Hokes Village` with imitation houses, shops and even animals, while at Bowenfels the manse was disguised as a farmhouse with cattle yards, poultry, pig pens and a skeletal barn. At Marrangaroo, where there was a major ammunition depot also, another village called `Hokesville` sprang up, complete with a pseudo-hotel.
This defensive activity continued around the Small Arms Factory and its ammunition stores until January 1944.
CLUB MUD #609
Old 10-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

[QUOTE=patto65;1031585]just back from a quick 5 day trip to cairns after becoming a grandfather on Monday.

Congrats Grandad.

I do now recall hearing of mustard gas being stored up that way.

I was looking for the track what comes out near the soccer fields out near lidsdale? but this one is just as good.

I turned around part way into it with fuel shortage paranoia ie new bike, new track, partially lost.

Maybe next time
Old 10-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

have a look in at dunns swamp then follow army road south, nice clearing that looks like it could be a landing strip, smack bang in the middle of the wollemi, just NE of Glen Davis
'92 Yamaha WR 200 Gone
70cc China bike, for the kids young and old
Old 10-05-2010
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly450 View Post
I was out at Clarence today having a look round and came across a gate with signs all over the place
ie military land keep out
lazer systems in use etc

The kind of signage you see at Holsworthy,I didnt know we had defence facilities out that way.

Maybe some of the local 'farmers' dont like tourists comin thru eh?

Can anyone tell me where the right at the t comes out?
Been in there, some of it you can ride right into the back of the base no fences We make a habit of staying away as there is heaps of excellent riding without that bit up there.

We saw some big mortar shells (empty) lying around.

One of the tracks, absolute snot if you were to ride it, ends up at the back of endless belt co? next door to the Army base. Then you ride up the gully around someones farmhouse & back onto the ridge following the powerlines
Australasian Safari 2011 Got a Finishers Medal
Old 11-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks patto65

Like to know a bit of our own local history,its chock a block with it up there.