dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Legend

wr200 compatable with dt200?

hey guys, i am a proud dt rider, but ive always wanted a wr200 as they have the better front suspension and plastics and everything just with the same motor as the dt. a bloke from my work just rang to rub in that he just picked up a 98 wr200 in beautiful condition with a ceased motor. got me really friggen angry until he mentioned he only wants it for the motor and radiators for his racing mower. so does anyone know if the front end will bolt up to my dt? and maybe the tank and plastics too? or should i con him into selling the whole rolling frame for me to just chuck my motor in?ive been told that the wr200 has a yz125 frame, but just from pictures, it looks the same as my dt frame. but im not overly sure. anyone with any info would be great.
Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Legend

How would u know if ur motor even fits..

Trueblue gave my son a engine to help him out rebuilding his motor for parts, it was dt engine with dt engine for parts, But the cases was differant and so was sum internal bits ..

so i dont like ur chances u might be dissapointed that things wont work..
Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Legend

true shit, as far as i was aware they have the same motor. ill have to look into it
Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Legend

the motor should in theory be a deadset match...the only difference between the DT and the WR was the cylinder (steel liner vs plated) and the head.

Read ADB articles of old....some will speak of a DT engine mounted in a YZ frame (if I remember rightly, wazza might know of it) that was run in the Finke races in early 1990's.....dunno if it was Lyndon Heffernan but anyways this bike was a class winner, the DT engine was awesome in its day apparently.

The DT 125, 200, 230 all shared similar parts with the WR200 engine wise, even the TZR twin cylinder yammie road bikes had interchangeable parts too.

I'd be deadset keen to scope it out and I'd be really surprised if it wasn't a simple swap over with minor mods to the cylinder / frame mounts, at worst it might need a slight tweak to the rear suspension shaft holes in the cases.....

1995 DT200...a dark horse that one...reliable, underestimated but surprisingly quick with a few mods...
Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Legend

well i just had a look at the wr he got. its friggen awesome. its really been well looked after appart from the motor of course. he mentioned selling the rolling leftovers to cover what he paid, which was 450. so if i can get it for that and just fit my rad's and motor i'd be a very happy man
Old 11-06-2010
DBW Expert

From what I remember the motors use the same cases the WR200 didn't have the oil injection but there was an aluminium plate cover in its place. WR200 had better carbie than DT and as mentioned probably had different cylinder and porting. Definitely try to get the rolling chassis. Good luck with it.
Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Legend

definately, frame looks pretty much the same as the dt, except certain things are in different spots due to the dt having a battery on the right side.
Old 11-06-2010
dbw Pro Champion

Give him your engine and rads for a swap for the complete WR, then rebuild the WR....
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=106094

Current bikes -08 DR650, 09 YZ450f, 02 KDX200,
1980 CX500 Brat