dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 06-09-2010
DBW Expert

2 stroke throttle cables

Im guessing the 300's are the same, where the throttle cable goes into the throttle housing it can be pull out ending in WOT, isnt this a little dodgy? branches ect.. hasnt happend to me, although the other day after having a get of, some how the cable outer came out at the carby end making it rev to the moon before killing it and inspecting the problem... Anyone had issues with this?
Old 06-09-2010
dbw Pro

You can safety wire the cable to the casting. Leave about 3mm slack @ full lock. If you look close up top you can see what I mean.http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...020216-1-1.jpg
Old 06-09-2010
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
Im guessing the 300's are the same, where the throttle cable goes into the throttle housing it can be pull out ending in WOT, isnt this a little dodgy? branches ect.. hasnt happend to me, although the other day after having a get of, some how the cable outer came out at the carby end making it rev to the moon before killing it and inspecting the problem... Anyone had issues with this?
Yes it has but after putting it back together and then starting it, luckily not while riding. Just poked it back in and forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon west View Post
You can safety wire the cable to the casting. Leave about 3mm slack @ full lock. If you look close up top you can see what I mean.http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...020216-1-1.jpg
Please do, I'd be interested as well.
Old 06-09-2010
dbw Pro Legend

after a very hairy moment i have a few layers of insulation tape wrapped around mine in a good binding , helps when you come to lube it and on the lubing note , I use powderd graphit ,, wet lube tends to go gummy
Old 06-09-2010
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon west View Post
So is that wire tied either side of the rubber boot yea? Nice i idea, makes you wonder why ktm design them like this, is there anyway your throttle cable can pull on and stay on when wire tied?
Old 07-09-2010
dbw Pro

G'day hindenburg, I just happened to of melted a piston is this very fashion. The throttle cable jumped out at the carbie end and the outer of the cable got caught up on the shoulder of the carbie.

The bike revved that fast I couldn't kill it with the the kill switch as the engine was dieselling.... it didn't need a spark for the fuel to combust. It stopped when it lost compression. Anyway $600 later for a replate and piston kit all was good.

I bought a Honda throttle cable that was 6" longer and a Honda throttle cable/carbie boot that is a lot tighter. I threaded the Honda throttle cable under the CDI, up in front of the bars to the throttle and lock wired both ends, a much better set up.

A hard le$$on learnt

Cheers Rich

2012 Suzuki Hayabusa
Old 07-09-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Honda cable eh? Very interesting. For which model? CR? How much?
Old 07-09-2010
DBW Expert

When looking to import a custom build 250 xcw one thing that was done was a Extended throttle cable, now you said that the penny has dropped, I'll be putting this on my things to do list for sure. For now I'll be wire tying throttle and carby ends of cable, may help avoid a unwanted melt down!
Old 07-09-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Honda cable eh? Very interesting. For which model? CR? How much?
www.motionpro.com
PT#15-080
Old 07-09-2010
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member
Wee angry Scotsman.
Legal Immigrant.

had this issue on a ride with a mate...ended up loosening and rotating his throttle housing to all ow some more slack but defo too short from factory...
Sponsored Links