dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki Forum

Suzuki Forum For the Yellow Terrors

Old 14-11-2010
DBW Expert

DRZ400 Oil leak, Advice needed.

As I have limited experience to fixing my bike besides the minor nuts and bolts, it would be great if someone could point out as to what is/could be happening with my DRZ. I am leaking oil from behind the front sprocket shaft. I removed the sprocket and front seal but that is as far as I go. Is this front seal the last defence from oil leaking??? or shouldnt I be getting oil to that point at all and I need to take it to the shop??????

Cheers.
Old 14-11-2010
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member

You're on the right track. Usually mud builds up in their and gets caught in the seal, making a path for the oil to escape.

It's called the output shaft seal (I think). Does the output (drive) shaft have any front to back / top to bottom movement? If not, just try cleaning any mud out of the seal, or else try replacing the seal. Note the shaft should be able to move in and out a little.

If the shaft has axial play in it, the bearing may be worn and need replacing. This could be due to many things, but the easiest to check, is chain tension.

You should tension your chain so that it still has a bit of slack at it's tightest point (usually about halfway through the rear suspension travel. Sit on the bike and you'll see the chain usually gets tighter than it is resting on the stand with no weight).

Or sumfint, or nuffint

The in between is mine"

~Eddie Vedder
Old 14-11-2010
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
You're on the right track. Usually mud builds up in their and gets caught in the seal, making a path for the oil to escape.

It's called the output shaft seal (I think). Does the output (drive) shaft have any front to back / top to bottom movement? If not, just try cleaning any mud out of the seal, or else try replacing the seal. Note the shaft should be able to move in and out a little.

If the shaft has axial play in it, the bearing may be worn and need replacing. This could be due to many things, but the easiest to check, is chain tension.

You should tension your chain so that it still has a bit of slack at it's tightest point (usually about halfway through the rear suspension travel. Sit on the bike and you'll see the chain usually gets tighter than it is resting on the stand with no weight).

Or sumfint, or nuffint
Nope, the shaft has no play in it, not even in and out a little, and the chain tension was good. So the oil is supposed to get passed the bearing and is stopped by the output shaft seal??????? If so then that is exactly what I was hoping for, seems like a simple fix, I hope......Thanks for the info Tony
Old 14-11-2010
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member

No drama's

There's always variables, but the process of elimination and logic, suggests replacing the seal is the first step, and will most likely fix it.

The in between is mine"

~Eddie Vedder
Old 15-11-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
No drama's

There's always variables, but the process of elimination and logic, suggests replacing the seal is the first step, and will most likely fix it.
Its not hard to replace the seal. Take it to a bearing shop and they should be able to sell you one the same size for a couple of bucks.

I carry a spare one with me. Its not an uncommon problem.
Old 15-11-2010
dbw Pro Legend

This is a well documented problem with DRZ's. Check out the DRZ threads on Thumpertalk forum, there are some good threads with how-to's on replacing these seals with piccies and all.
Old 15-11-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Don't forget the O-ring that seals the slider to the output shaft too it can look like its the countershaft oil seal but it can actually be the O-ring,also if you have fitted an after market front sprocket some are slightly thinner an don't put enough presure on the slider and this creates play and let oil leak out via the O-ring,with this you ussually just notice the leak if the bike has sat for a week or more.
"E"

Why does my brain keep cashing cheques my body can't pay for?

Not Feeling Yourself Lately,Well Then That's One BAD Habbit You've Finally Grown Out Of!!

CLUB MUD#105
Old 15-11-2010
DBW Expert

Thanks for all the advice guys... The bike is fixed and I am giving it a ride tomorrow, so I hope I have done it right...

Old 15-11-2010
dbw Pro

[how many km's did you have on it....
Old 16-11-2010
DBW Expert

2500klms, but I have only owned it for 700 of them.
Sponsored Links