dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 20-01-2011
dbw Pro

2005 525EXC Gear selector problems.

HI all.

My first venture in KATO land is in the form of a 2005 525EXC which I grabbed today, all adr gear, no rego, starts and runs fine, pretty neat all in all, however, it wont select a gear, the selector lever moves freely and with spring loaded resistance, it comes back to center after moving it up or down, but it doesnt feel like it is trying to move the selector drum.

without it running you cant hear or feel any shift forks moving or hear the drum rolling like you can on my OLD husky.

Is there a known or common fault for these things, I found a parts manual online and checked between the 250 up to 525 and the six speed box selectors all seem to have the same parts list, so I downloaded a 250 manual, but it is a bit short on detail.

I would think if the whole 6 speed range from 03 to 07 run the same selector set-up, any common problems would be known by now, I know I am going to have to open her up and dive in, but what should I expect.

bike runs sweet, no top end noise etc, pretty happy really as I didnt pay much for it.

Any help would be good, thanks.

Chris
Old 20-01-2011
dbw Pro

Haven't heard any common issues on those models. The price of parts shouldn't be too bad if its a selector fork or gear but the labor cost of splitting the case could get up there if you pay someone else to do it for you.

Good luck, I hope you can sort it out soon (and cheap).
Old 20-01-2011
dbw Pro Champion

Sounds like the spring loaded "sliding plate" is stuck in the retracted position- pull the clutch cover off and you should be able to easily see it. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of foreign matter (metal shaving etc) between the sliding plate and the gear shaft to jam it up

Heaps of riding +
to Finke & back 2013....
to Finke & back 2014
should I change the piston @ 140 hrs prior
to Finke & back 2015 ??
04 300 EXC- 38,100 kms/812 hours of mallee single track fun.Bargain-
"just like Grandpa's axe..."

No fuel pump.No fuel filter. No injector. No fuel mapping.No oil filter.No shims or adjuster screws. Just ride it
Old 20-01-2011
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas'e View Post
Sounds like the spring loaded "sliding plate" is stuck in the retracted position- pull the clutch cover off and you should be able to easily see it. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of foreign matter (metal shaving etc) between the sliding plate and the gear shaft to jam it up
Thanks, it been over 20 years since I have split a dirt bikes cases and was hopeing there may be an easy answer. I was planning on dropping off the clutch cover tomorrow night, if its further in it will be a month or two until I have time to get in there. I dont have a shed to use at the moment, so it will sit in the sipping container next to thw two Huskies if it isnt a quick fix.
Old 21-01-2011
dbw Pro Addict

remove the clutch cover. below the clutch is there is an arm with a bearing on the end which selects gears. the cage fails and the balls go throughout the engine. check to see if you still have all the balls in there and update to the 07 part which is a solid roller. also, the bearing sits in a recess in the case, sometimes bits of debris can go in this recess and stop the arm from seating properly.
Old 21-01-2011
dbw Pro

Hi again,

Well I dropped the side cover off this afternoon, I thought I had winner when I saw the allan head bolt holding the Locating drum loose, allowing the Locating drum to sit out not engaged in the dogs of the Shift roller.

I removed the clutch basket and locking lever ( the lever with the ball race bearing on it) I then slid the Locating drum out to look for damage, perfect.

the dogs only allow it to fit one way, so I fit it back on and nip up the retainer bolt, the gear lever is now rotating the Locking drum and Selector drum, but no gears, still in Neutral, the shift shaft has a stop which is stopping it from rotating too far and it wont roll the selector drum far enough.

So I drop of the stand and roll the bike back and forward while shifting the gear lever, nothing, so I rotate the trans main shaft (where clutch basket goes) hello, we have gears, it shifts up to 6th, I can feel the selector fork stopping the drum from rolling any further, try a down shift, nothing, I rotate the trans main shaft some more, it starts to go down through the gears, but with a neutral between each gear it seems.

It feels like one of the selectors forks is not moving or is out of sync with the other.

Before I go and pull it down, does anyone know of a common fault with the shift forks or drums, there are a few updated parts online, but I was hoping to know what to expect before I split the cases.

I got the bike cheap and dont mind if I have to spend a little, but I am very time poor and dont want to split it if I dont have to.

The bike starts and runs great, is in better than average nick with all original plastics, bars levers etc and inside the side case was clean, no metal chunkies, so I was hoping it would be good news.

Any Kato mechanics here who feel like chipping in with wisdom.

Thanks again.
Old 21-01-2011
dbw Pro Champion

If it were me, I'd want to be isolating whether it was a "external"shift mechanism issue( shaft, sliding plate, shift star) or an "internal" issue (drum/fork/gear )

I'd pull the shift shaft out, put the bike on a stand with rear wheel off the ground and get someone to rock the back wheel while I tried to shift it through the gears using the shift star alone to rotate the shift drum (should be able to do it with the allen key in centre of shift star. If you can select gears doing it that way, you know that internals are OK. If it wont shift, then you gotta split it.......

KTMs of the 05 era werent known for dodgy boxes, just dodgy e start gears.

The 03 RFS's had some circlip issues on gear shafts
There have also been locating levers coming apart like dalboy mentioned, broken welds on shift shafts, loose "pins"on sliding plate, burred sliding plates over the years

Sorry thats all I got, (from a non KTM, non Mechanic)

Heaps of riding +
to Finke & back 2013....
to Finke & back 2014
should I change the piston @ 140 hrs prior
to Finke & back 2015 ??
04 300 EXC- 38,100 kms/812 hours of mallee single track fun.Bargain-
"just like Grandpa's axe..."

No fuel pump.No fuel filter. No injector. No fuel mapping.No oil filter.No shims or adjuster screws. Just ride it

Last edited by Blas'e; 21-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 21-01-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Mate, not sure on what the fix is but if your going to tinker with it, a shop manual from the Beta site would certainly help....they use the same RFS engine.
It's a 60Meg file so will take some time to download.
Here's the link:
http://www.betamotorcycles.net/shopmanual.html

It's freely available so I don't beleive we're contraveining any copyright laws.
Cheers.
Old 21-01-2011
dbw Pro

update.

I got a manual, two actually the ktm one and the beta posted above, it seems to have more info, so thanks heaps.

I grabbed my small snap-on magnet on a stick and reached into every far corner of the box and case I could get to, I laid the bike over every way hoping to make any small heavy bits move about, nothing, no metal at all, I ran the used engine oil through some filter paper, nothing, clean as it gets. so no loose bits floating around in there.

So, I put it all back together bar side cover, wheeled her outside and tried for a gear, got 1st I think as the engine wont even turn over due to compression, click up, 2nd, all good, click up, neutral, click up third, then forth, then another neutral, then five and six, and on the way down, same again.

Can some one tell me is this just because the engine is not running, so the shafts are not spinning helping the forks and gears to slide, I had an old YZ490L which had a neutral everywhere when stopped, but good as gold when running.

can someone here with a 03-07 six speed 4 banger KTM try the same test, engine off, clutch out, grab first, then as you rock bike back and forward GENTELY so not to damage anything, see if there are any false neutrals in there.

I am tempted to clean up the side cover and case, put some sealant on as a temporary job, fill her with oil and start to see if all is good, but I dont want to destroy the main or counter shaft if it tries to pick up two gears.

Thank for all the help so far, I know I can get it, I just dont want to have to split it if I dont have too.

Thanks again for all the tips and help.
Old 22-01-2011
dbw Pro

UPDATE,

It all went back together this arvo, got a new gasket and oil etc this morning, I was not sure if it was just the loose bolt, as the shift still felt weird with the engine stopped, but thought it was worth a crack before I split the case.

Anyhow, all is good, took it for a 15 min ride, up and down the gears as many times as I could, all as it should be, so I am over the moon, I bought it expecting to have to open it fight up and replace selector forks and drum etc, but all I needed was 3 hours and some loktite.

I have ordered the UPDATE locking shaft, a new retainer bolt for the selector drum and a new sump plug as it is chewed out, all up inc oil and Gasket it was only $120. to fix.

I am over the moon, I could not have justified buying a bike this good for myself with the amount I ride, but getting it cheap and fixing cheap makes it all good.

Thanks for all the help.