dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 01-03-2011
dbw Pro Legend

cr250 2003 power valve setup???

My Brother has had his 250 in bits for the last six months or so. He ended getting a complete new cylinder. He needs to setup the power valve but can't remember, not sure how to do it? Anybody know how to do it in simple step by step instruction or a link with pictures, measurements of something. Please? Its a 2003 cr 250 thanks

The 03 has the electronic powervalve setup!

Last edited by hondahead; 01-03-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011
dbw Factory Pro

I have an 07 which had the same servo control, main difference is the 03 powervalve is a two piece thingo and the 07 is one piece. It's very straight forward to put together... What do you want to know exactly??
Old 02-03-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcca View Post
I have an 07 which had the same servo control, main difference is the 03 powervalve is a two piece thingo and the 07 is one piece. It's very straight forward to put together... What do you want to know exactly??
He wants tow now how to set the cables up. The 03 has two cables. He need to know what position the cables need to be in and check they are adjusted correctly. He found a figure of 12mm on the net (i've looked also) but not sure where to measure that from (or if that if correct). I can only find stuff on the older powervalve setup and the newer one like you have. thanks
Old 02-03-2011
dbw Pro Addict

Old 02-03-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks RED1 that should help. Will give it a go tonight.

I find this below:

(The Factory Service Manual (FSM) isn't any help...but here's how you do it:

The first thing to do is to set the right cable. Rotate the RC valve clockwise until it stops. Adjust the right side cable until you have a measurement of 12mm from the top of the RC valve "butterfly" to the bottom of the cable adjuster (as seen in photo).

http://pages.prodigy.net/huffspeed/02CR250-pvadj.jpg

After that, rotate the RC valve counter clockwise until it stops. Now, tighten up the left side cable until it's tight, but not taunt. Generally, if there is enough play that you can gently push it to the left (with light/moderate pressure) and touch the cylinder casting, it's not tight enough. Once everything is set, you're done. I generally like to leave the cover off until I've had a chance to verify that it's working like it should.

The RC cables will wear out... If you find that it's taking the bike longer to get on the pipe or your having a slight bog when getting off the gas and then back into it (especially at lower-mid RPMs) then you might look at replacing the cables. At $20 for the pair it's a fairly cheap fix)
Sponsored Links