dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: www.blingkingproducts.com.au

Old 06-06-2011
dbw Factory Pro

Rekluse Core EXP vs. Z-Start Pro

G'day,

So I am seriously considering a Rekluse on my CRF450X.

Reasoning:
After riding some very tight single on the weekend I had dreams (after about 30 minutes of flat out) of nailing into a tight corner with locked rear and nailing back out in 2nd without touching the clutch. Also up some shitty hills its gotta be better not to have to worry about clutch feathering etc.

I plan to keep the clutch (for a while) as I cant see myself living without it.

So, Im confused between the EXP and the Z-Start.
I have read everything using the search funtion here and most of google!
What I have compiled is the following.

Core EXP:
Clutch operated either on or off - No slip?
Clutch feel is like standard

z-start:
clutch is nothing until the revs build up for the balls to wedge on the outer?
Clutch is very slippery, has a better progressive clutch engagement?

Not too sure if any of this is correct, Your opinions would be good on the difference and which you believe to be better for the bush/single/hills etc.

Please give me some honest/un-biased reviews - Not "I have an EXP and its the best", or "I have a Z-start and ITS the best"

Thanks Fella's,

CC
Old 06-06-2011
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

I have a Zstart, it's the best

From my understanding and experience (only owned the pro but had a ride of the exp), I kind of lean towards the zstart pro, mainly because when you use the exp you are decreasing clutch pack friction area and therefore putting the same amount of force on a smaller clutch pack which can increase the likelyhood of failure. The idea of the EXP and dynaring is that the OEM has overengineered their clutches and they can handle a reduction in friction surface area. Some bikes like the CRF250 need different plates to over come this.

If you put the pro in low speed hardengagement modethen they should both engage just as hard, but the exp will have a more effective and natural clutch pull butthe pro will have a lighter clutch pull... but won't disengage as cleanly at higher RPM.
Old 06-06-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopChop View Post
...So I am seriously considering a Rekluse on my CRF450X.
Hey mate

I'm guessing you have never actually ridden a bike with any form of Rekluse then? If so, what state/city you in? Coz I have a Rekluse (think it's a zStart Pro) that I bought off a guy that took it off his bike before selling it. Unfortunately my CRF got stolen before I got to fix it, so it's just sitting there. If you are in Sydney and want to fit it to try it out you are welcome. Sure, it's not a comparison of the 2 clutches, but it would at least let you get an idea of how one of them works. That way you can see if it meets your expectations before commiting to buying one. I also have the Left Hand Rear Brake for it if you want to try that too - I'm pretty sure it's the dual one which lets you keep you foot brake.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 06-06-2011
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Hey mate

I'm guessing you have never actually ridden a bike with any form of Rekluse then? If so, what state/city you in? Coz I have a Rekluse (think it's a zStart Pro) that I bought off a guy that took it off his bike before selling it. Unfortunately my CRF got stolen before I got to fix it, so it's just sitting there. If you are in Sydney and want to fit it to try it out you are welcome. Sure, it's not a comparison of the 2 clutches, but it would at least let you get an idea of how one of them works. That way you can see if it meets your expectations before commiting to buying one. I also have the Left Hand Rear Brake for it if you want to try that too - I'm pretty sure it's the dual one which lets you keep you foot brake.

PM me if you're interested.
Thanks mate, Very Very generous. I have PM'd you!
Old 06-06-2011
dbw Pro Addict

I would suggest you buy those two items at the right price and you will be very happy with there performance .
If you like to still use the clutch the pro is fine , as sometimes a recluse will wheelstand up a hill when you want it to slip .The no clutch could be an issue , on the other hand having a left hand rear brake has its attractions as well especially if stuck on a hill .

Getting both at the right price is very nice .
Old 17-08-2011
dbw Pro Legend

So, other than Disco, does anyone else have an opinion/recommendation on which Rekluse is best for weekend trail riders - the z-Start Pro or the Core EXP?

The Honda z-Start (non-Pro) I offered ChopChop is gone now and I am looking for a Rekluse for my Husky (2010 TE450) and cannot decide. From what I have read on Thumper Talk they talk about the differences in clutch over-ride feel - not really about how clutch engagement/disengagement feels while riding.

I am a casual weekend rider, so the smoother the engagement the better IMO. So that makes me think the z-Start Pro is a better fit then the Core EXP. The Core EXP must have its advantages though to justify its higher price - does anyone have practical experience with the 2 clutches that they can share?
Old 18-08-2011
dbw Pro Champion

I'm bored of the rekluse Z-start pro. I want a manual bike again.
Old 18-08-2011
dbw Pro Legend

I have ridden 570 bergs with both versions. I have the core exp, mate has the pro. Biggest differance is in clutch pull. EXP feels normal, pro has no feel as in it is super light pull like it does nothing. Pro is perfect for a trail rider, exp has no real benift to you. A racer will benifite more from the exp in feel. Pro slightly more maint than the exp. Not that either need much
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission
2013 KTM 350 XCF, 2013 KTM500 EXC, 96 Honda TLR 250 Trails bike!!!
Plus all this vintage stuff!!!!!!
72 Husky 400, 73 Husky 250, 77 RM 370x2 77 Honda CR 125, 79 Honda CR125, XR 75, 79 XL500 Honda hybird, 86 Suzuki TSX 250, 82 Honda CR480,83 CR250, 83 YZ 490, 77 Honda 750/4, 77 Maico 400 84 KDX 200/ 250, 90 KDX200
Old 18-08-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
I have ridden 570 bergs with both versions. I have the core exp, mate has the pro. Biggest differance is in clutch pull. EXP feels normal, pro has no feel as in it is super light pull like it does nothing. Pro is perfect for a trail rider, exp has no real benift to you. A racer will benifite more from the exp in feel. Pro slightly more maint than the exp. Not that either need much
Thanks - good to have someone that's tried both clutches. So here's the tough question... if you could get both clutches for the same price, and intended replacing the clutch with a left hand rear brake anyway, would one be a better choice over the other for a weekend trailrider?
Old 18-08-2011
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Quote:
Thanks - good to have someone that's tried both clutches.
Yeah it is good isn't it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
owned the pro but had a ride of the exp

..but the exp will have a more effective and natural clutch pull butthe pro will have a lighter clutch pull... but won't disengage as cleanly at higher RPM.
Quote:
So, other than Disco, does anyone else have an opinion/recommendation
You're welcome, happy to help...

Last edited by diZco; 18-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links