Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a Rec Reg any good?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is a Rec Reg any good?

    Hi All, I'm looking to buy a new bike and I'm torn between a KTM 350 XC-F and the KTM 350 EXC-F. The key difference to me is that the EXC-F can be fully road registered while the XC-F can only get a Rec Reg. I'm new to Victoria (and Australia) and I'm wondering if a Rec Reg is good enough. I want to ride around state parks/trails but I figure I may need to ride on some local roads. I know I can't ride on major roadways with a Rec Reg but what about local streets in my town to run down to the shops.

  • #2


    There is some bitumen road that you can ride on REC Reg


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks Macka040872, I've seen that page on VicRoads but I have no idea how to verify what road classification the roads are. For instance, I'd like to ride up in the Grampians but I'm not sure which roads I can ride on. I also don't know if I'm allowed to ride a non LAMS Rec Reg'd bike since I'm an L plater.

      Comment


      • #4
        Actually, reading the VicRoads website closer it looks like I have to ride a LAMS approved bike since I'm an L plater. Well it looks like I have no choice but to buy the EXC-F.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is this thread some dodgy rec reg promotion.

          Let me join in.

          Rec Reg is the Ducks Guts, riders in every other state want it.
          .
          Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does
          .

          Comment


          • #6
            If you want to ride on suburban roads, in a built up area, any road where the speed limit is under 100 kph, or main roads, you must have full registration which is available only to ADR plated bikes.
            If you are wanting to ride only in State forests/parks (and a very small number of other roads), recreation registration is fine and gives the same TAC benefits as full registration.
            If the bike you want is not on the current LAMS list, contact VicRoads. Their published list is not 100% up to date.

            Roger Pitt
            Victorian Trail Bike Project Manager
            Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning

            Comment


            • #7
              Excellent, thank you very much for the information!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks EnviroRider. I'm glad you peruse & contribute to DBW.
                Quote = "any road where the speed limit is under 100 kph"...

                As you'd know:- Our bikes are limited more by gearing than power:
                .. Give me a bump... I'll put it up in 4th... & mono until I'm flat-out.

                I've pictured the open road to Darwin: Monoing there @ 140kph plus:
                I'd absolutely lov to;- no speed limit... It's a shame monoing is Illegal.
                The More I Learn... The Less I Know.
                That Which Doesn't Change... Stays The Same.
                Those That Don't Fall... Just Aren't Trying Hard Enough.
                Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
                Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

                *George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had rec reg and found it way to restrictive and keep in mind the cops will ping you if you choose to risk a run to town for fuel for example
                  2018 SWM650dualsportX , 2013 Gasser 300rrrrr. 08 TE 450 . 04 WR Husky . 02 530 VOR . 00 DT200 . 01 SV650 . 96 250 exc . 92 KDX250 . 83 VF750f . 90 XL250 . 86 KX80 . CT 125 . CT 75

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BIGBADAL View Post
                    I had rec reg and found it way to restrictive and keep in mind the cops will ping you if you choose to risk a run to town for fuel for example


                    BIGBADAL just wondering would I not be find if I had full rego?
                    No blinkers
                    No chain guard
                    No mirrors
                    Knobbies

                    For example riding through Blackwood township doing the speed limit not being a Goose crossing the main road to get to the other side of the forest ,



                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BIGBADAL View Post
                      I had rec reg and found it way to restrictive and keep in mind the cops will ping you if you choose to risk a run to town for fuel for example


                      I have spoken to many police officer in small towns they are happy to turn a blind eye if we putt into town buy some fuel food /pub meal and just put out again
                      Harrow Rainbow jeparit even robe beachport in SA


                      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gypsy501 View Post
                        BIGBADAL just wondering would I not be find if I had full rego?
                        No blinkers
                        No chain guard
                        No mirrors
                        Knobbies

                        For example riding through Blackwood township doing the speed limit not being a Goose crossing the main road to get to the other side of the forest ,



                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Never had a problem in 25 years , we use hand signals , cops are relatively understanding but we have been told by the local Trenthem copper he will ping us with rec reg bikes in town , I once ran the risk of a Trenthem run with my rec reg bike and sure enough I was spotted , by the time they attempted a turn around I exited stage left . It's like number plates , they must be attached to rear of the bike under the number plate light , simple , they will fine you if it's not . Full reg for me .
                        2018 SWM650dualsportX , 2013 Gasser 300rrrrr. 08 TE 450 . 04 WR Husky . 02 530 VOR . 00 DT200 . 01 SV650 . 96 250 exc . 92 KDX250 . 83 VF750f . 90 XL250 . 86 KX80 . CT 125 . CT 75

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BIGBADAL View Post
                          Never had a problem in 25 years , we use hand signals , cops are relatively understanding but we have been told by the local Trenthem copper he will ping us with rec reg bikes in town , I once ran the risk of a Trenthem run with my rec reg bike and sure enough I was spotted , by the time they attempted a turn around I exited stage left . It's like number plates , they must be attached to rear of the bike under the number plate light , simple , they will fine you if it's not . Full reg for me .
                          I was pulled over in trentham on the road with my rec rego plate flat ontop of the guard. They asked me to scrap off the mud and sent me on my way. A fine never turned up. For me its a numbers game. Rec rego is what $350 a year cheaper ? multiply that by the last 10 years, should pay for a couple of fines. But surprisingly haven't got any yet !
                          2011 YZ250F
                          2008 CRF250X
                          2008 WR450F
                          2004 YZ240F
                          1991 DR250
                          1975 TC100 !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 321 View Post
                            I was pulled over in trentham on the road with my rec rego plate flat ontop of the guard. They asked me to scrap off the mud and sent me on my way. A fine never turned up. For me its a numbers game. Rec rego is what $350 a year cheaper ? multiply that by the last 10 years, should pay for a couple of fines. But surprisingly haven't got any yet !
                            Very lucky , guys are getting done up here alot , there's too many places up here that require a run up the road or through town .
                            2018 SWM650dualsportX , 2013 Gasser 300rrrrr. 08 TE 450 . 04 WR Husky . 02 530 VOR . 00 DT200 . 01 SV650 . 96 250 exc . 92 KDX250 . 83 VF750f . 90 XL250 . 86 KX80 . CT 125 . CT 75

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BIGBADAL View Post
                              Very lucky , guys are getting done up here alot , there's too many places up here that require a run up the road or through town .
                              Just have to pass the dickhead test... Which is easier for some then others ^rof
                              2011 YZ250F
                              2008 CRF250X
                              2008 WR450F
                              2004 YZ240F
                              1991 DR250
                              1975 TC100 !

                              Comment

                              antalya escort
                              medyumlar
                              huluhub.com
                              kartal escort
                              ankara escort
                              Working...
                              X