Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 A3VE ride report.

A few weeks late, but here were are.

When the Australian 3-Day Vintage Enduro was announced in 2018, I was on board immediately - but I missed 2019 due to my busted leg not being healed properly, and the 2020 event was called off because it was 2020...
    Held in the forests outside of Blackwood in Victoria, they attracted 115 competitive riders and about 35 rally class (non-competitive) riders.

With over two years to prepare, of course I was slapping the bike together at the last minute. The bike is a 1986 KX125 with a 1986 KDX200 motor fitted. I rode it at a VTR event a few weeks earlier and it steered like a pig and vibrated too much. So I swapped the motor, reeds, shock, fork springs, fuel tank, wheels, swingarm, rear brake and a few other bits to really keep myself guessing!
    A last minute blat around a friend's property said that everything was improved, but I was well aware that all that work, in a hurry, without a proper shakedown had created plenty of new potential for mechanical dramas...

At the event, I was loosely supported by the Penrite Vinduro Team: Mark was riding competitively on his IT125, while Phill (IT125) and Dave (IT200) were in the rally class. Mark was bike #10B in the V3 class (for 1980~83 models), while I was #36a in V4 (for 84~87 models). Also on my minute were Adam from Victoria on his IT200 and fellow NewSouthWelshman Shoey on his Husky WR400. I'd never met Adam before, but Shoey and I have raced/ridden with each other for years, and I trusted his ability to stay on time - I do not trust my own ability to do this!

I went through scrutiny early in case I needed time to fix anything, but it sailed through. Was even one of the first bikes into Parc Ferme, contrary to my hard-earned reputation for being late and disorganised! Although Mark was mildly annoyed that I didn't put Penrite stickers on my bike before putting it into Parc Ferme - oops.

Mark and I went and walked the tests, although we skipped the Mullane's Test simply because it would take too long to get there. The tests were straight-forward to get through, but had plenty of places to reward the brave and/or skilled.

On to Day 1. A few nervous fiddles to the bike in the work period and then to the Cold Start ... which I failed! Bloody bike ALWAYS starts first or second kick. To add insult to injury, it started about 3 seconds after my minute had ticked over... Shoey's Husky still hadn't fired up when I roared off, which was cold comfort - his bikes are always mechanically perfect. Seems that neither of us have accounted for the inescapable dampness of Blackwood!

The first trail section was an eye-opener, with lots of bikes already stopped! Seemed like nearly a dozen bikes didn't even make it to the first test, and about half of them were Maicos.
    The trail itself was mostly straight-forward, except for all the enormous puddles on the dirt roads and fire roads - some were 20mm deep, others were 600mm deep - and it was often difficult to work out until it was too late. Quickly worked out that the smart move was to find a path around.

First test was Burgins. A fairly tight run through the trees that popped out into the paddock a couple of times. I started great and then got too excited and stalled on an off-camber. Took a few kicks to light the fire again, and then repeated the mistake less than 100 metres later! Argh!!!
    Couldn't fire it up again, so rolled the bike down the hill to clutch-start it - Shoey and #37a both went past in a freight train as I got back onto the track... Not the ideal start to the event.
    Turned out that I'd finished 79th on that test, which was well down on my goal of being in the top 40.

Second test was Conroy's, weaving a path through blackberry bushes, undulating at first, hilly toward the end. Motivated by messing up the first test, I had a much cleaner run on this test, finishing a pleasing 24th.

Then off to Mullane's - a fast blast through a paddock. A little intimidated by not having seen the test at all, I was happy with 31st place on the test - Brett (37a) was catching me toward the end of the test, but didn't pass me.

Shoey declared that he'd had enough leading and that I had to for the ride back - and then laughed his head off when I misread one of those damn puddles/swamps/lakes on an open fireroad and nearly blasted myself off the bike with my own water spray.
    Made it back to the finish with plenty of time and no penalties after the failed cold start.

Finished the day in 56th place after handicaps had been applied - you get a time bonus based on your age and bike age, which is designed to encourage older riders and older bikes. Despite being in my mid-40s on a 35 year old bike, I didn't qualify for any handicap - which was fine until I discovered that my mate Dewy did despite having the same combined bike/rider age...

Attached Files
    Last edited by Spac; 3 weeks ago.
    Beta 200RR

Day 2. 130km or so.
    Hey, it didn't fail the cold start! Nothing to do in the morning work period, plenty of time to clown around for the camera.

Trails were similar to Day1, although mostly on the other side of town.
    Plenty of people missed arrows on the trails here. Some - like me - only got lost enough to make it more exciting to stay on time, but a handful of riders missed tests and/or lost tons of trail time.

First test was James Farm, a reasonably flat paddock with a drainage ditch that you crossed a few times. I was feeling a bit lack-lustre and finished 37th. Just couldn't get a flow up.

On the way to Mere Farm, Shoey was leading a group of us when he his something unexpected in one of those damn puddles. He fired into a bunch of small trees, before using his chest and head on a ~6" diameter tree to stop. It put the wind up me - it was a solid hit and he was clearly shaken up. He assured me that he was fine, but I stayed with him until he got the bike fired up and then rode slowly to keep him in sight until we passed a slower rider. At that point, I decided that the slower rider could keep an eye on him and I sped up. About 15 minutes later he caught back up - clearly he was fine!

Somewhere around here I passed fellow DBWer Silverfox - he'd been blitzing me, but was riding at a much reduced speed after an altercation with a kangaroo left both his bike and body feeling worse for wear. Pretty sure that he finished but called it quits at the end of the day.

Then to the Mere Farm test - a long test that alternated between paddock and bush. Great fun! When we'd walked the test, we'd been given a bum-steer about how the test was laid out but it didn't matter much. I caught and passed Adam but couldn't shake him! Brett on the YZ250 was close at the end, but didn't pass - he was running 2nd outright at this point so I felt good about that!
    24th place in this test.

We lost Adam on the trail back to service, and were worried that he'd had dramas. When there was no sign of him at the second visit to Mere Farm for the day's third test, it was clear that he was running late ... except that he appeared alongside me about 5 seconds before we booked in!

Mere Farm 2 was good. I cut 7 seconds off my time, but dropped to 31st on this pass.

Back to James Farm for the final test of the day. Six seconds faster than the first time and 30th. Still way too conservative over the erosion ditch.

43rd for the day after everyone else's handicaps had been applied. No time penalties.

Attached Files
    Beta 200RR

Comment

Day 3.
      It had rained overnight, but we stayed on B-schedule. Approximately 100km for the day.

Again, nothing to do to the bike in the work period.
      Didn't fail the cold start, but it was reluctant enough to cause me some stress.

About 5km in, on an easy bit of trail, the bike kicked out and I put my foot down and hurt my left knee. Felt like I'd jarred it pretty badly - bad pain at first that slowly diminished. Unhappy with myself for such a stupid mistake.

First test was Burgins. Sore knee or not, this was great fun - well cut in and the soil had just enough moisture in it. 40th place.

Then off to Conroys again. Knee had settled down but still very tender if I bumped or twisted it, and there were plenty of slippery off cambers and roots coming through to make me particularly conservative. A dismal 52nd on my favourite test...

Final test was Mullaines. 52nd again was setting a pattern - a pattern that I didn't like.

Some of the trail section here was ridiculously slippery. Momentarily lock a wheel on a downhill, and even when you let the brake off, the wheel takes time to start rolling again.

Then to the Final Moto. The ego took a bit of a battering when I ended up in the slow V4 heat. I think that they used the times with handicaps to determine the start order, but maybe I am speaking crap!
      Anyway, I got a terrible start with my fat guts weighing down the little 200 and I ended up going into the first turn in the back half of the field.
      I progressively worked my way up the field to finish 3rd, which rebuilt the ego a bit. Also helping the ego is that my time was enough to put me into the top half of the fast V4 moto.
      I don't know if I would have been able to stick with the top two bikes, but I would have loved the opportunity to try! Need to get a better start to find out.

The YoungPunks moto was incredible to watch. Well, it was after the restart - Dewy tangled with another bike in the first turn and ended his event with an ambulance ride. The top six riders were super fast and had the whole crowd enthralled. The event's lone female rider also showed some serious MX skills and was in no danger of finishing last despite riding an XR200.
      Even Graham, on a stock DT400 set a faster time than mine!

And that was that.

43rd for the day, 40th outright.
      I am guessing that I was about 30th outright without handicaps, which I am stoked with.
      As best as I can tell, my pre-handicap times were good enough for a Gold Medal - but that 10 second penalty at the start of Day 1 was enough to drop me back to Silver.

Attached Files
      Beta 200RR

Comment

Postscript.

This was an awesome event. It had hiccups like every ambitious event does, but overall it was very well run and a bunch of fun. For me, it was the perfect level of seriousness - competitive racing and still very social.
        The VERi club have said that they won't run it next year and they're looking for another club to take it on. I hope that there's another club willing to take it on, and I'm sure that there's another 149 riders who feel the same way.

Regardless, the VERi team and their helpers all deserve a ton of praise for making a multi-day, time card enduro happen in 2021. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to take part and they should forever be proud of making it happen.

I have to say a huge thanks to the Penrite lads, particularly Phill who stepped up as pit beetch after he had bike dramas, and the Sunshine Coast blokes who talked me out of sleeping in the car (which would have been miserable in the dampest place on the planet) and feeding me, along with being good company.

My knee went from being uncomfortable on the final day to outright painful on the drive home. Turns out that I strained a ligament and partially tore a muscle so I feel like less of a wuss now that I know this!

Dewy has sworn off dirt bikes, but with young kids and "the body of someone twice his age", I do appreciate where he's coming from.

Mark was the only 125 to finish, despite the longish days making a pre-damaged shoulder particularly tender.
        Beta 200RR

Comment

Great work mate.

This bloke has a few videos up from the event too.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOz9cFx358

Comment

[QUOTE=Spac;n3224589] here were are........the Australian 3-Day Vintage Enduro was announced in 2018......
            With over two years to prepare......

On to Day 1. A few nervous fiddles and then to the Cold Start ... Shoey's Husky still hadn't fired up when I roared off, which was cold comfort - his bikes are always mechanically perfect. Seems that neither of us have accounted for the inescapable dampness of Blackwood!
            Seemed like nearly a dozen bikes didn't even make it to the first test, and about half of them were Maicos !
            [
            /QUOTE]

Great report Spac...... & Im only part way thru.
            Pls forgive me, but the devi......L.......

I don't clearly recall and I worked with a Husky Dealer, that they ever came std or factory optioned with a 1st kick start option !
            In fact I recall some blokes who stupidly never ticked the 50kick start option !
            Its this very reason that the enduro boys went to the Japs and pleaded for them to build em enduro bikes.
            IT's were first to the market...as you know!

In the late 70's Id read Revs & AMCN, others from front to back.
            You'd see the latest 2,or 4day Enduro event report ......pictures of Parke Fermme full of Bultaco Matadors,Husky WR's, Maico WR's, everywhere, as far as the lens would show.
            Hec some unlearned clowns would even show up with Montessa Scorpians even the odd Ossa 6day'er!

Id look on admiringly all this exoctica enthusiastic to read the full event report.Only to turn the page to .....
            2lines of script !
            Event cancelled Day 1 at 10am.
            As no c...ts could get their bike started !
            40 years on, nothins changed !

Anyway carry on Spac. And great report.
            As you found you go for the ridin, but remember the camaraderie the most.

Comment

good report buddy, Good to meet u. Yes Brett was on fire!!! We were looking forward to a good battle. Day 1 was good. first 2 tests were a matter of getting through and staying upright. Same on the 3rd test, but through it away in 4th gear trying to pass a guy around a big sweeper. Back end let go and around she came. Dropped about 10 /15 seconds but was still reasonably close. around 4th in class and just inside the top 10. Day2 started well, Nice trails etc, butabout 3km from the first test, travelling down a gravel road, between 2 houses. BIG red came out to see me head on!!!. Had enough time to shut my eyes!! GPS showed 80kph to a sudden stop!!!!! I was surprised I was not more damaged. bike was a bit s/hand. no front guard, rear brake arm broken, bent bars. Levers all over the shop. got my breath back and soldered on to the first test, Straightened it out a bit and went through. cruised to the next test, Got halfway through and the front brake started to lock on so gave it away. spent the rest of my time helping Brett. 3 busted ribs and a bit of a bruised lung.!!! Great event, and hope it happens again. Perfect spot for it. Well done to all who rode, and special thanks to those who stopped to help me while I was rolling around on the ground!!! Have not even looked at the bike yet to find any other damage!!!lol
              WANTED, OLD MX BIKES OR PARTS
              Life is all about ASS, Kissing it, kicking it, covering it and trying to get it!!!
              "Going to McDonalds for a salad roll is like going to a brothel for a hug"

2016 Beta 300 RR, 2013 KTM500 EXC, !
              Plus all this vintage stuff!!!!!!
              72 Husky 400, 73 Husky 250, 77 RM 370x2 77 Honda CR 125, 79 Honda CR125, XR 75, 79 XL500 Honda hybird, 86 Suzuki TSX 250, 82 Honda CR480,83 CR250, 83 YZ 490, 77 Honda 750/4, 77 Maico 400 84 KDX 200/ 250, 90 KDX200

Comment

[QUOTE=Motoxfox;n3224613]
                Originally posted by Spac View Post
                here were are........the Australian 3-Day Vintage Enduro was announced in 2018......
                With over two years to prepare......

On to Day 1. A few nervous fiddles and then to the Cold Start ... Shoey's Husky still hadn't fired up when I roared off, which was cold comfort - his bikes are always mechanically perfect. Seems that neither of us have accounted for the inescapable dampness of Blackwood!
                Seemed like nearly a dozen bikes didn't even make it to the first test, and about half of them were Maicos !
                [
                /QUOTE]

Great report Spac...... & Im only part way thru.
                Pls forgive me, but the devi......L.......

I don't clearly recall and I worked with a Husky Dealer, that they ever came std or factory optioned with a 1st kick start option !
                In fact I recall some blokes who stupidly never ticked the 50kick start option !
                Its this very reason that the enduro boys went to the Japs and pleaded for them to build em enduro bikes.
                IT's were first to the market...as you know!

In the late 70's Id read Revs & AMCN, others from front to back.
                You'd see the latest 2,or 4day Enduro event report ......pictures of Parke Fermme full of Bultaco Matadors,Husky WR's, Maico WR's, everywhere, as far as the lens would show.
                Hec some unlearned clowns would even show up with Montessa Scorpians even the odd Ossa 6day'er!

Id look on admiringly all this exoctica enthusiastic to read the full event report.Only to turn the page to .....
                2lines of script !
                Event cancelled Day 1 at 10am.
                As no c...ts could get their bike started !
                40 years on, nothins changed !

Anyway carry on Spac. And great report.
                As you found you go for the ridin, but remember the camaraderie the most.
                Cheers mate!

Someone commented that back in the day, the jap bikes all started first kick and the Euro bikes were dogs to start - it was pretty much the opposite at this event.
                I concluded that the japanese bikes were mostly using tired old, 40+ year old ignitions, while the european bikes have new aftermarket ignitions.

Beta 200RR

Comment

My brother and a few mated all did it too.

They had a ball, a couple of mates got penalties incorrectly, but only one had it reversed. My brother did pretty good on his XR250
                  Total Tools Penrith
                  127 Coreen Avenue
                  Best Service, Best Brands, Best Prices, Biggest Range.
                  Like Us On Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by tmac450 View Post
                    My brother and a few mated all did it too.

They had a ball, a couple of mates got penalties incorrectly, but only one had it reversed. My brother did pretty good on his XR250
                    He must have been the fastest rider on a farm implement out there! Well up there with the fast guys in the final moto.
                    Beta 200RR

Comment

Originally posted by Spac View Post

He must have been the fastest rider on a farm implement out there! Well up there with the fast guys in the final moto.
                      The thing's got no power, but far out it handles like it's on rails and can hold any line.

I wish I could get a modern bike to track like that thing does.
                      Total Tools Penrith
                      127 Coreen Avenue
                      Best Service, Best Brands, Best Prices, Biggest Range.
                      Like Us On Facebook

Comment

Great read thanks for sharing.
                        You'd be right about the A/M ignitions!
                        Lucky Sfox you didn't need an airlift bouncing down the road at 80. I've done more damage than that slower than that from a kicker erosion mound...

Comment

antalya escort
                        medyumlar
                        huluhub.com
                        kartal escort
                        ankara escort
                        Working...
                        X